H3A in Dublin

7 mei 2019

Students from the H3A class travelled to Dublin last Monday, accompanied by the teachers Mr van der Bergh and Mr Logister. We will try to place a short message each day about the students’ experiences. Here below you can read the first short report.

Monday 6 May:

Today we went to Eindhoven airport for the trip to Dublin. We arrived early, at one o’clock, even though we only had to be there at two. We went earlier because there were delays predicted on the way. When everyone had arrived, we went to the customs and everyone got through without any problems. At around 14.30 we went to the gates and didn’t have to wait long before boarding. After a flight of an hour and a half we arrived in Dublin at 17.40 (Dutch time). We caught a bus quite late and had to transfer and wait a further 40 minutes again for the next bus. We eventually arrived at our host families around 20.00.

Day 2 Dublin trip, Tuesday May 7.

In the morning we gathered at our fixed meeting point. From here we went to the museum. We had to wait for our guide but because of a miscommunicating he did not show up. Luckily we were able to move the appointment to the afternoon. So we visited St. Patrick Cathedral a little bit earlier as planned. In this cathedral we got free time to take a look at everything. I even lit a candle. 

Outside the cathedral we ate our lunch which we received from our host families. After the lunch we had the tour which was planned for the morning. I learned a lot from this tour about the history of Dublin and St. Patrick Cathedral. This tour was about 2 hours and 30 minutes. After this we could enjoy our movie, Avengers Endgame! 

With this we returned to our host families where we had dinner. We also took a walk with friend in the evening. It was a fun day!

Day 3 Dublin trip, Wednesday May 8.

Every day we gather at 8.00 at our meeting point. We took the bus to the sport area (GAA Experience the Game). This morning we practiced 3 sports; squash, hurling, Gaelic football.

After the sports we went to the Natural History Museum. In this museum they had a lot of stuffed animals. This museum is also called the Dead Zoo and besides free time we also had to do assignments in this museum. After the Dead Zoo we went to the National Archaeology Museum. It was interesting but we were also very tired after the busy morning and the previous museum.

Report Aya (Thursday May 9th) 

We were expected to be at the bus stop at 8 AM to leave to a school in the city where we would get some activities.

At first, we watched a little movie about school in Dublin and after that we did a quiz with Irish students, it was about differences and similarities to Dutch and Irish schools. After that we went outside to do a basketball game.

After visiting the school we went all together with the bus to the centre. Everyone was free to go their own way to shop or eat something. Around 8 PM we went to an Irish bar to dance with a professional dancer and musician. We learned a few dances there and we had lots of fun.

Then at 10 PM we were on our way back to the guest families by bus and everyone was tired, yet we’d enjoyed it very much.

Report Astrid (Friday May 10th)

The teachers had a little surprise for us; instead of being at the bus stop at 8 AM, we had to be there at 9 AM, which was great. We went by bus to a very beautiful place, which led us to an museum with all kinds of stuff about wars. There were people from that time, for example a farmer or a soldier. We could go our own way in the museum but if you wanted to, you could leave. We had to find our own way to the zoo, which we had to be at at half past 2. We had a lot of time in between the museum and the zoo, which was great so you could slowly walk to the zoo or maybe visit other places before arriving at the zoo. A woman showed us around in the zoo and after that you could choose to stay with the group, in the zoo, or to leave the zoo and to do whatever you wanted to do. 

We had to go to our guest families on our own and we had a lot of time to do that. You could do whatever you wanted to that evening/night because there were no more activities. We also had to pack our bags for the next day, which was the day we were leaving Dublin.

 for pictures click here